In this CPS WebTips, you'll learn about using Regular Expression for process automation in Automate Evolve. A Regular Expression can be used to extract and set data in the workflow.
- Using a Set Column plug-in, we can extract data, such as a Sales Order Number, Purchase Order Number, Material Number, etc., from the log field of a script that has been executed in the workflow.
- We can then use what has been extracted to set another field in the form from the workflow. Typically, we’d need form rules to do this on a form view, but that requires a user to receive a task and open the form to allow those rules to run. This method eliminates the need for rules to run on the form to extract a number from the log field of the Precisely / Winshuttle script.
Key Steps to successfully extracting data from the log field using RegEx :
- The log field must be a promoted field.
- A “target” field to store the extracted value will be needed and that must also be promoted.
- A Set Column plug-in is needed to extract the value from the log field and set the column for the “target” field.
- A Value Setter node or a Set Form Data plug-in is needed to update the “target” field with the value from the “target” field’s promoted column.
- When a form field is promoted, it creates SharePoint column (in Foundation) or a Solution Data Field (in Automate Evolve) that is now linked with the form field.
- The values in the Column/Solution Data field and the form field are not automatically synced, in fact, the value in the form field will replace the value in the column/Solution Data field when the form is submitted on any view, or at any node in the workflow that causes the workflow to pause until that node is complete (Task, Plug-in that does NOT continue without waiting, Wait Plug-in, etc.)
- Because of this, if we hit a node in the workflow that causes the form field to update the column/Solution Data field, the value that was set in the Set Column Plug-in will be replaced with the value from the form field which would be blank.
- To avoid this, use a Value Setter node or a Set Form Data Plug-in immediately after the Set Column plug-in to also set the form field with the value that was set in the column/Solution Data field.
Correct Syntax for RegEx in the Set Column Plug-in:
- Documentation on Winshuttle’s support site has an error saying to use *. on both sides of the regular expression.
- This will cause the plug-in to fail.
- The syntax shown on support.winshuttle.com will work if the *. is omitted.
Watch the entire WebTips on using Regular Expression for process automation in Automate Evolve:
Visit our entire WebTips library on our YouTube Channel.
Still have questions regarding this topic? Contact the CPS experts.
Not subscribed to CPS WebTips? Subscribe here.
Clear Process Solutions | Making the complex simple